Adults and children alike have fears. Fear is something we all experience because it’s a built in protective measure that helps us avoid or predict danger. But when your child has fears that interrupt sleep, or daily activities, what can you do to help? They don’t have to be severe fears to change the way your child behaves.
The top five fears for younger children are:
3- Personal Danger
2- Loss of a Parent
And though your own child may display different fears, like thunder storms, scary dreams or TV shows, the way you help your child work through those fears can be the same. By giving your child as much information about their fear as is age appropriate the better they will understand what is an imagined part of the fear and what is real.
Keep in mind however, that a young child who is experiencing the fear of something imagined is still having a very real emotion.
Hi ladies. I hope you all had a fabulous weekend! You know when an idea for a blog post suddenly pops to mind and you start taking photos and jotting down your thoughts like a mad woman? Well, this is exactly what happened to me last night whilst having a Sunday night pamper. I don’t know about you but after a long week at work and a busy weekend, when Sunday rolls around, its the perfect time to wind down, have a long soak in the bath and a good old pamper. This is exactly what I did last night and and I felt so great afterwards that I just had to show you the beauty products I use to pamper and preen myself whilst soaking in the bath.
First things first, its time to run the bath. For me, baths are one of the most relaxing things in the world and if I could sit in one all day without turning into something that resembles a wrinkly old prune, I would. A bath isn’t complete for me without two things – bubbles and candles. I find bubbles add a nice scent to the bath water and cover my dignity whilst having a soak (surely nobody wants to stare at their naked parts whilst chilling in the bath?) and I love lighting a few candles to create a calm and relaxed atmosphere. My bubbles and candles of choice last night were Avon Soft Pink Bubble Bath and some bog standard Ikea tea lights. I’d of preferably had a nice scented candle flickering away but as I didn’t have any to hand, I improvised.
Two weeks ago I began my Mum Challenge. If you’re just joining me, please feel free to catch up here! If you’re all up to speed, let’s dive into week two…
Why is it that week two is always more challenging than week one?! Don’t get me wrong, I had some encouraging success this week. I saw the scale go down, I began tracking all of my food and I continued to work on my two goals from week one. I’d say that’s successful!
However, I did not get the workouts in that I wanted to. I had high hopes of getting two workouts in, but with a hectic schedule, that just didn’t become a reality this week. However, that doesn’t mean I’m giving up, it just means I’m rolling that goal over to this week, and no excuses, it will be achieved!! I’ll turn to the amazing repertoire of workouts on Skinny Mom for a little online pep talk, and will commit to doing this circuit this week.
On top of that, over the weekend we purchased an awesome new bike trailer to take our two little ladies for a nice long ride, so if the weather cooperates (lots of rain in our forecast this week), I hope to get out and about for a nice family ride to kick off the very chilly spring season here in Canada.
And to up the ante, I’ll add another goal for myself this week which is water, water, water! Some days I’m great at drinking lots of water, and other days I struggle. No real reason, I just don’t always make a conscious choice to consume the calorie-free goodness. This week, I will drink more water!
Summer is just around the corner and we all want to lose a few pounds to fit into the perfect outfit or swimsuit. I have listed a few foods with magical fat burning properties to help you with this dreaded task of weigh loss. Just remember – not one food alone can do the job. You have to have a plan and a purpose. Make sure you are eating the proper amount of calories for your body.
Here are a few Tummy Tightening Foods to help get you on the right track to a slimmer summer:
1. Oats with Cinnamon– Oats are a great start to your day. They will help keep you full while the cinnamon has natural thermionic properties which may increase your metabolism. (Love this Skinny Slow Cooker Oats recipe)
2. Grapefruit- Grapefruit helps lower insulin levels which promotes weight loss and fast metabolism.
3. Red Peppers– Peppers contain Capsaicin which can help with burning stubborn fat.
4. Almonds– Almonds are a great source of protein to help keep you full and keep your metabolism kicking. (Skinny Almond Trail Mix here)
5. Salmon-Salmon is loaded with Omega 3 Fatty Acids which is beneficial for fat loss. (Check out ourSkinny Caribbean Jerk Salmon or Skinny Blackened Salmon)
6. Avocado– While avocados are considered a fat, they are a healthy fat. Your body needs healthy fats to use as energy to promote fat burn.
7. Blueberries– While Blueberries are loaded with antioxidants, they are also low in sugar and great for a healthy low calorie snack.
8. Green Tea– Natural caffeine can help speed up the metabolism and keep you energized to burn more calories throughout the day.
9. Chicken– Chicken is a great source of lean protein. By placing more protein in your diet you can lower the amount of carbohydrates you take in while promoting weight loss. (Check out our hundreds ofSkinny Chicken Recipes here and on Pinterest.)
10. Sweet Potato– Sweet potatoes are great for keeping your blood sugar levels stable while promoting a better, faster metabolism. (Click here for our Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes)
Want a romantic getaway but still need to take the kids? What do you do when he’s not in the mood? Sexpert Jennifer Berman answers your questions.
Q: My husband and I would like our family beach trip to double as a romantic escape. Got any tips for sneaking sexiness into a family vacation?
A: Floaties, zinc oxide, and hours at the kiddie pool don’t scream romance. But trust me—with the right planning, it can happen. Pick a destination that will help you keep the kids happy, fed, and busy. In most cases, this means opting for an inclusive resort rather than booking a beach house of your own, unless you plan to bring along a sitter. I tell women to look for resorts that provide child care (and ideally, suites, so you and he have a bedroom door to close). The more activities offered for the children, the more free time you two will have to steal away for a little one-on-one. Take advantage of the outdoor activities the resort offers for adults, too. Work up a sweat together; it’s an excellent aphrodisiac. (See Three Easy Ways to Get in the Mood—Fast!) Or book a couple’s massage in the spa. Definitely hire a sitter once or twice, so you can treat yourselves to a romantic dinner and take a leisurely evening stroll on the beach. Nothing beats coming back to a clean room with the kids asleep and both of you intoxicated by the smell of the sea.